Saturday, August 3, 2013

PAX USA

Still thinking.

Today about the similarities between Rome and the USA. Rome was the wonder of the world two thousand years ago. It ruthlessly enforced pax romana (I think that's right) just like we enforce pax USA, also with varying degrees of success and squandering resources at staggering rates.

The rich and privileged ruled Rome and bought their way everywhere, just like the banking and corporate tycoons of today. The details are different. The system hasn't changed much at all. Lesser people were pawns and sword fodder, necessry to keep everything functioning but of no real account to those at the top.

I keep hoping reason and principle will triumph in the end, but I'm also a realist, and what I see and hear everyday doesn't enourage deep optimism.

Guess I'll check up on some more stuff about Rome. That's what history is written for.

No comments:

Post a Comment