Tuesday, March 15, 2011

LIFE IS A PILE OF S++T FOR JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY ONCE IN AWHILE

I woke up this morning to a facebook entry by my daughter, Nancy, now nearly 40, that she wrote in the wee hours of the morning.  It detailed her lifetime struggle with depression and how thankful she is to finally begin finding her way out through proper professional counsel and the right medication.

I had been unaware of how deeply set and serious her problem was.  I knew she had a problem, and her serious overweight should have indicated how deep the problem was, but we just don't see into the depths of another person's struggle, and we all tend to keep such embarrassing details to ourslves.  So, those around us don't realize what we are personally struggling against and probably wouldn't be able to really help much if they did.  Few have the professional training needed and couldn't legally prescribe any chemical help if they did.

Nancy is now on her way to a semblance of a normal, successful and rewarding life.  Yes, it's later than she would want, but I didn't start my recovery from cultic Armstrongism until I was the same age as she.  The important thing is the recovery has begun.

She is steadily losing weight.  She has a happier outlook on life and has begun the shooling she always let her depression dissuade her from in the past.

Yesterday, we participated in a used eyeglass sorting party for my local Lion's Club.  During the social part, we learned of the heartbreak one member couple went through in losing one of their children to a degenerative disease.   Unless that had been shared with us, we never would have guessed.

It is normal to think that other people have a breeze with life and nothing but blessings.  The longer I live, the more I learn, I realize that nobody escapes trial and heartbreak.  No matter how much money and apparent success people have, there are always things somewhere in their life that hang heavily from their psyches.  Nobody escapes this life unscathed.  It just isn't possible with all the vagaries of happenstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment