Sunday, July 29, 2012

FREE AT LAST!

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius

I couldn't say it any better!

When I look back on my life, that's the way I started out thinking in my childhood and early teens. Then, I got caught by a mesmerizing cultic con man and all around sleaze ball by the name of Herbert W. Armstrong. His deceptive cultic system enslaved me for over twenty long years.

It's been a long journey back to basic sanity and clear thinking unencumbered by fairy tales, burdensome religious rigmarole and gospels. Today, I'm free of gods, free of dogma, free of financial slavery to religious machines -- FREE AT LAST -- TOTALLY!

I base my life on humanist ethics and morals. I find those far more of a reliable moral guide than what any religion offers. No longer are my attitudes guided by feelings of superiority toward any other human being. I recognize that we are all cousins somewhere along the genetic pathway and worthy of equal loving respect and concern.

When I was religious, I felt religiously superior to, and thus allienated from all others who were not "in the truth." The nonsense of British Israelism made me feel racially superior as well.

Humanism unites.

Religion and its dogmas divides.

I see that division everywhere. Even in our national politics.

There is a self-righteous haughtiness in politicians like Mitt Romney and Rick Santorium. It virtually exudes from their pores. It's the basis of a lot of their gaffs that give offense to a wide range of people who are different from them.

Today, I'm convinced there are no gods to be concerned about. I haven't made enough of a splash in the world to be long remembered, but that's OK. It's the fate of all my ancestors I'm aware of and the fate of the majority of human beings.

Marcus Aurelius made it into the history books. I currently have a fair presence on Google, but that likely won't last too long after my demise. I don't expect my name in any history books.

At least, the truth that Marcus Aurelius wrote stands. I can only echo it and see that a few more read and comprehend it.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Brother! That earlier Mark (Marcus) spoke the words I believe as well, so it's covered. Nice reminder though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete