Thursday, January 12, 2012

THE MOTTO I LIVE BY

It's nearly forty years now since my former well-ordered life fell apart around me.  All the comfortable beliefs I had deluded myself into believing suddenly lost their certainty.  I was confused and shaken. 

As I have stated before, I originally hung onto the certainty of my basic religious faith.  I still thought the Bible was true, Jesus really was my savior and I was part of the "body of Christ."  All that is now ancient history as far as my current life and mental attitude is concrned. 

Today, during discussion at our new free thinkers group in Sedona, I hearkened back to a slogan I soon came up with and which has guided me inexorably to where I am today as a free thinking humanist atheist and anti-theist.  I have expressed it in various ways over the years, but basically it comes down to the fact that I will always dare to "think the 'unthinkable,' speak (or write) the 'unspeakable,' conclude the 'impossible'."  I could add other "ables," but that pretty well covers it.

I have been rewarded with clarity of thought and the peace of knowing I am the master of my own destiny.  There's no "god" looking over my shoulder and taking notes of my every thought and action.  Looming death, whatever its reality may be, holds no terrors for me.  There is no fear of being "lost" and condemned to some ghastly chamber of horrors.  Nor do I look forward to being that "heavenly pomeranian" I mention in my last blog.  Day to day existence is a joyous experience of ever increasing knowledge and awareness. 

No subject is sacred and off limits to my determination not to let any sacred cows go unchallenged.  I know it infuriates many people for me to take that approach.  How dare I?  That's their problem.  They don't have to read what I write or listen to what I say when I have the opportunity.  I'm still going to write and speak up.  And, I'm going to do so every chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment