Sunday, April 28, 2013

INVOKING WITH REASON, NOT FAITH

I'm reading Herb Silverman's book, Candidate Without a Prayer. It's very interesting and inspirational to a secular humanist atheist like me.

On March 25, 2003, Herb (first atheist candidate for governor of South Carolina and founder of the Secular Coalition For America) was asked by Councilman Kwanjo Campbell to deliver a secularist invocation to a council meeting. What he delivered is so inspirational that I will post it here:

"Thank you for this opportunity to invoke a minority point of v...iew. Each of us is a minority in some way. It might be race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, or any other aspect in which we may be regarded as different. Each of us is also part of some majority. It is when we wear our majority hats that we need to be most mindful of how we treat others. We must pledge our best efforts to help one another, and to defend the rights of all of our citizens and residents.

What divides us is not so much our religious differences in this diverse country, but the degree of commitment we have to equal freedom of conscience for all people. We are gathered today, both religious and secular members of our community, with the shared belief that we must treat our fellow human beings with respect and dignity.

In this invocation, I don't ask you to close your eyes, but to keep your eyes constantly open to the serious problems that city government can solve or improve. I don't ask you to bow your heads, but look up at what you can accomplish by applying your considerable talents and experience to the issues that confront us.

As you work together on behalf of all who live in this city, may you draw strength and sustenance from one another through reason and compassion. I'd like to close in a bipartisan manner by quoting from two persidents I greatly admire -- one a Republican and the other a Democrat.

First, the Republican: 'When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion.' Abraham Lincoln.

And, now, the Democrat: 'It's remarkable how much you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman."

No comments:

Post a Comment