Tuesday, April 30, 2013

TAKES GUTS TO REALLY LIVE

I was just relaxing on the patio with a morning cup of decaf and noticed once again the quote by Eleanor Roosevelt on the cup's side: "Do one thing every day that scares you." I bought it because of that quote -- many years ago now.

I can't claim to have done that every day of my life, but I have done a good many things that really scared me at first. So far, I've survived them all, sometimes the worse for wear.

I know many people who fit the old description, "stick in the mud." They will tolerate just about anything to keep from abandoning their comfortable rut. I suppose they get a comfortable sense of never changing dependability out of that, but it's not for me.

I remember how shaken I was when my first wife demanded a divorce and I could have just hunkered down and concluded It was best to just wait for happenstance to maybe end my sense of loneliness and abandonment. Instead, I looked around for groups that could be a help, soon getting into singles square dancing. A few girlfriends later, I found a reasonably compatible mate.

It scared the living begeebers out of me to start my own business and have to be responsible for landing and keeping my own customers, three times now, in Pasadena, Phoenix and Cottonwood. If anyone thinks being a self-employed entrepreneur is a bed of roses, try it sometime.

My sister thought I was making the mistake of my life when I moved to Arizona. Best choice ever, as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely no desire to move back to that California zoo. Phoenix became a hot old zoo of its own, so off to Cottonwood.

I could go on and on, but no need as far as I can see. Leaving a settled ranch life that could have been mine if I had compromised my desire for a different kind of life. Opting out of a religion I had dedicated my life to and which gave me a comfortable feeling of security no matter how regimented and controlling the atmosphere. Etc., etc.

I don't mean anyone should be rash and careless, but there is a time to coldly analyze the facts, determine what would be most fulfilling and get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment