Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'M THANKFUL TOO

Theistically prejudiced people will almost universally conclude and probably state that a professing atheist such as I doesn't feel thankful on this day dedicated to being thankful. 

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I'm very thankful.

I just don't waste my time expressing gratitude to a non-existent sky fairy -- the adult version of Santa Claus.  I express my thankfulness to the real people and things from which I have benefited and am benefiting.

I couldn't begin to enumerate all the things I am thankful for, but here are a few.

I am thankful for those who risked everything, including their lives, to give me this great bastion of freedom called The United States of America.  I am also grateful for the dedication of great people who have preserved it against every peril, often to the point of the "ultimate sacrifice," so I can enjoy its benefits today.

I am thankful to exist on a planet which is just perfect for the kind of advanced intelligent life embodied in the human race.

I am thankful to have enjoyed the benefits of education to develop and augment my natural talents so I can sit at this computer and write this blog.

I am thankful for the genetic matchups which made me the healthy individual I am, even at this advanced age.

I am thankful Barack Obama was re-elected and the tide of fanatical theocratism and unbridled capitalistic Dickensianism has again been thwarted.

I am thankful to enjoy the sumptuous feast I am about to go partake of and look forward to the promise of tomorrow.

There is much, much more I am thankful for, but it's now time to go eat and you get the idea, I'm sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment