Thursday, October 10, 2013

SEVEN DECADES OF LIFE

It's finally here!

In the wee hours of the night, I turned 79 and entered into my eigthieth year. It's been a great day so far. We went to estate sales this morning and it was quite a jackpot -- the best in several weeks now. Then, off to our doctor for flu shots and a birthday grand slam from Denny's and a brief shopping stop. It's now almost news time and I'm tired from all that running around.

I have mixed emotions about where I am right now. I despise that cane I carry around, but I need it for stability. I dropped my ads for carpet work from Craig's List and the Ad King. That chapter of my life is now pretty well closed. It comes to everybody, but I still don't like being a shadow of my former self, working long, hard days and then square dancing into the night and so full of dynamic energy that I chewed my fingernails to a nub.

I like being free to do pretty much as I please, but hate getting so tired out before I'm anywhere near done with it. I cope with not knowing when or how my end will come by not thinking about it as much as possible. Based on family history, I should have over ten years left, but what will those years be like? Based on how I'm moving around, more like shuffling than moving, it's kind of disquieting. At least, I can write just as well as ever.

They say that time stands still for no one. I think it speeds up instead! Seems to, anyway. It seems such a short time ago that I sat at that same table in Denny's and took advantage of my last free birthday meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment