Friday, November 15, 2013

COMMUNICATION IS GOOD

(From Facebook.)

It again hit me how valuable modern social media is to us humans. I remember when communication with others was a haphazard thing governed by the need to write and mail time consuming letters or make expensive phone calls, and we just didn't have the wherewithal to get deeply involved with those we should have been closest to. We were often deeply separated from those with whom we should have been the closest and pretty much an unknown nebulosity to them.

It doesn't have to be that way anymore. We can email, we can tweet, we can blog, we can dial the cell phone at odd times when we just have time on our hands and feel the urge to talk. We don't have to feel alone and isolated anymore.

I spend an awful lot of time on Facebook. It keeps me in contact with a whole bunch of friends and relatives and they are aware of what I'm thinking and doing, and vice versa. I'm often sitting just waiting on Phyllis to finish something like shopping and just pick up my cell phone to call someone, often my sister who neither Facebooks or blogs.

I'm well aware that all these things can be over used, and maybe I sometimes am guilty, but I feel my children, grandchildren and friends know me a whole lot more than they did before, and the reverse is also true. I think anything that increases personal contact and understanding is basically good.

No comments:

Post a Comment