Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A HOLOGRAM UNIVERSE -- REALLY?

(From Facebook.)

I have some studying and thinking to do, not that I expect to solve something that has career physicists scratching their heads. I'm referring to the video my friend, Dennis Deahl, put up both here and on the Banned by HWA blog about the holographic universe. Piqued my curiosity, and it will take some time to follow up with the rest of the videos, reading, etc.

The very idea that we exist in a universe akin to the holodeck on Star Trek strikes me as far out and impossible. Reality is just too real to be nothing but a projection. I know, we can produce holograms, but they have no real physical substance, and to me, it's a stretch for one hologram to produce another.

You and I and everything around us, including bodies in the immense depths of the universe, do have substance, even if most of that substance is indeed empty space. Frankly, it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that something like a hammer or axe head is mostly empty space, but it is. I can still sharpen it and use it to chop up a tree that is also mostly empty space.

There has to be an answer to this, and frankly, if there is such a thing as reincarnation, I hope I can come back as a physicist and maybe solve this thing. With my luck, somebody else will probably beat me to it in the meantime, just like some lucky sob always beats me to that coveted lottery prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment