Thursday, February 6, 2014

THE SOCHI DEBACLE

The Olympics begin tonight in Sochi. I think it's going to be a big blotch on olympic history -- all because of religious fanaticism. I know there's no way I would book any kind of transportation to Russia right now, even if I had the economic resources to finance it. Why risk my life so some islamist fanatics can flex their terrorist muscles?

Maybe I'll watch an occasional event if there isn't something more interesting on just out of curiosity. I'm not really into winter sports, or any other sports for that matter. That's largely due to the fact that I never got embroiled in sports as a young man, so there isn't that emotional connection -- and also why I haven't been limited by and had to nurse along sports injuries all my life. One pays a price for momentary "glory."

Winning the Olympics is going to turn out to be a gigantic finacncial loss for Russia. It provides a stage for fanatics to try to further their cause and gain attention. I'd normally sympathize with someone seeking autonomy for their people, but not when it involves substituting religious tyranny for the original soviet tryranny. Tyranny is tyranny, after all, and nothing is worse than a religious tyranny.

No comments:

Post a Comment