Monday, December 30, 2013

THE "SUCKY" PART OF NATURE

Oh, misery! I'm going to take another alka seltzer plus and go to bed. I don't know how viruses developed, but if there is anything remotely like a god that created the horrible things, he can go do something horrible and impossible with himself.

Seriously, I see no logical reason behind viruses, mosquitos, pin worms, tape worms, trichinosis, schistosomiasis or any of the other horrors that fill our world. You have to be a totally blind and unobservant dumb ass to believe any supreme being could be malevolent enough to afflict its creation in such manners. I remember as a small kid right after World War II actually crying over the fear of coming down with polio which was epidemic at the time. It hit several kids in our community and I can still see in my mind's eye pictures of those "iron lungs."

We got delivered from that scourge, not through any divine intervention but through the dedication of a great physician and scientist by the name of Jonas Salk. "God our healer," indeed. Herbert Armstrong didn't want people spending their money on doctors instead of giving it to him, so he condemned all medicine -- until he himself got old and decrepit. Then, doctors started looking pretty damn good to him.

So far, no need to go to the doctor. Over the counter stuff works enough magic at this point. But, when I had strep throat a couple years ago, those antibiotics did the trick. That was bacterial though.

So, like everybody else, I just have to suffer it through. It's part of the natural scheme of things and a part of evolution. Probably no real reason behind it. Viruses just happen and we either win over them or we suffer and die. I really don't think I have to worry about fatality. Misery? Ah, yes, plenty of that.

Pardon me while I blow that faucet in the middle of my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment