Thursday, January 30, 2014

HORRIBLE VERSES

(From Facebook.)

I was reading a blog article that brought forcefully to my mind some of the most damnable words ever recorded in any human literature. (I'll refer you to it later, since doing so now will only prevent me from commenting further with what I have to say.)

They're found in several verses scattered through Jewish Scripture, especially in Proverbs. I'll quote a few of these barbaric verses that still afflict the human race with a hard-boiled, bullying frame of mind that wreaks havoc on a great segment of each generation of hapless victims.

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son (13:24) ... Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying (19:18) ... foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him (22:15) ... If thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die (23;13)." (Quite a great number have died, so that is not true.)

I'm well aware that there could be an occasional circumstance where a slap or swat might be appropriate, but those would be rare occasions for a lovingly reared child. The fact is that violence breeds violence and any child (or creature) subjected to repeated violence is going to respond defensively and develop a personality of hostility for its own protection.

I could count on less than the fingers of one hand the times I remember when either of my parents struck me -- with anything, inluding their hand. Just knowing they were disappointed in me was enough to fill me with the deepest of fear and shame. Their loving approval meant the world to me as a child. I feared doing anything that would lessen it.

I see the same thing in our little dogs. They've never been struck in their entire lives, but just show disapproval or scold them, and their heads and tails droop. They are shattered and so relieved when you make it plain that they are stll loved and cherished. That's the important thing. They must know that you love them no matter what. It leads them to respond in kind.

Children are exactly the same. They have to be patiently taught. It isn't always easy. But, resorting to violent brute force only perpetuates the hardboiled attitude that has permeated human society for millenia. It brutalizes. It warps. It feeds on itself. It helps create psycopaths.

Let's have done with the violent approach. It's counter productive.

Here's the article that got me started:

http://armstrongismlibrary.blogspot.com/2014/01/samuel-martins-former-cog-babysitter.htm



See More
Banned by HWA! Books, News and Observations About Armstrongism and the Churches of God
armstrongismlibrary.blogspot.com
A blog about Armstrongism, Herbert W Armstrong, Garner Ted Armstrong, Worldwide Church of God, Ron Weinland, Roderick C Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment